Friday, January 2, 2009

Thrush...in adults??

Yes, apparently it can happen =( It's been almost 2 weeks of sickness for me and I'm ready to feel 100%. It started last Monday with a sore throat. I get those quite often but they usually go away in a day or so. By Wednesday it had gotten a little better but upon getting out of bed, I realized that my eyes were almost glued shut. Once I finally pried them open, I realized they were kind of red and puffy. My contacts felt scratchy when I put them in so I decided to just wear my glasses that day. I got to work and was telling one of my co-workers about it and and she said, "It sounds like you have pink eye!" A trip to CareNow confirmed it...joy...where the heck did I get pink eye? My throat wasn't too sore so I didn't even ask the doctor about that. Well, when I woke up Friday, my sore throat was back and I could hardly swallow. Another visit to the doctor and though it wasn't strep, he gave me an antibiotic. It seemed to work...until New Year's Eve. My throat started getting really sore again. We were San Antonio and traveled home New Year's Day so I had to wait until today to go to the doctor. I was able to get a last minute appointment with my regular family doctor and she said from the looks of things, I have thrush. She said that the antibiotic the other doctor prescribed probably made it worse and he shouldn't have even given me that. Waste of $$!! So, I'll try the prescription she gave me and hopefully by Monday I'll be feeling 100% again. How in the world does an adult get pink eye AND thrush in the same week?! Aren't those kid sicknesses?! =) Thankfully, Pierce has stayed healthy through all of this. I'll post more later on our trip to San Antonio, it's time for bed.

2 comments:

eleventhirtysix images said...

Ugh. I'm sorry. I know when we were battling it, they told me to slow down on dairy and sugar - b/c it feeds on it. Maybe that would speed up recovery?

Unknown said...

My Flovent inhaler comes with an increased risk of developing thrush; I have to rinse my mouth out ten minutes after every puff. Thrush is caused by the same kind of bacteria imbalance that causes yeast infections. Eat lots of yogurt that has an active acidophilus culture (most of them do) -- it will help restore the natural balance of bacteria in your body. Also, cut down on your processed sugars and starches (no beer and rice for dinner!).