Monday, August 22, 2011

Fish...the kind you eat

I know I'm probably going to catch some flak from my parents about this post but oh well =)  You see, I'm not a huge fan of fish, eating it that is.  My parents swear that some of the best fish you can eat come from the 10,000 lakes of Minnesota.  They always have some fish in their freezer courtesy of my cousin Matthew or my uncle Whitey.  Every time they cook it, I turn my nose up at it.  Perhaps it's because I'm worried there will be bones in it, I don't know.  But in the past year or so, I have been trying to broaden my horizons and try new things.  It all started when we went to Mexico last year and I tried some fish tacos at the resort we were staying at.  I tried them because we were at an all inclusive resort and figured if they were gross, I could just order something else. And holy crap, they were SO good!!  I don't know what kind of sauce they put on them but it took them over the top on the taste scale.  I could have eaten them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Since that trip, I have been on a mission to find the best fish tacos this side of the border.  I've tried them at BJ's, Houlihans and Fuzzy's and I think the ones at Fuzzy's are the best, and surprisingly the cheapest. 

And in another attempt to broaden my fish horizons, I branched out and tried tilapia.  It's not a "fishy" fish like salmon is (my opinion) and it's a rather mild fish.  I'm always looking for things that are easy to make, things I can either heat up quickly for dinner or take to work and have for lunch.  I happened to come across these pre-seasoned tilapia filets in the frozen section at Super Target the other day.  It's a tilapia filet with a tortilla, chipotle and lime crust.


                                                             


Though they are a little pricey for me ($6.50 for the pack of 2)  I think they were well worth it.  They are made by Sea Cuisine and come in several different flavors.  I bought the tortilla crusted tilapia and I didn't have to add any extra seasoning to it.  One filet, along with a salad and vegetable made a pretty good meal and it's pretty healthy.  They also have some other flavors for the tilapia, as well as seasoned salmon, cod and shrimp.  I think I'll keep some on hand for a quick dinner idea.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Just saw your post about fish - I am not a big fan of most fish, either. The bones are an issue with me, too. When I was a kid growing up, we always had to have slices of bread with our fish - to help move the bones down if they somehow got stuck in our throats - way to scare a kid, eh?

However, I have a recipe on my site for some really super tasting salmon patties, in case you'd like to try something different. I absolutely loved these - and may even be tempted to give up ground beef in my burgers and use these instead. Have a look - http://idontdohousework.com/?p=7

Your son is a cute kid - my kids are all grown now and living elsewhere. *sad*

Cheers,
Sue